Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Clever Title Regarding Rakes

From Wikipedia: 'A rake (Old English raca, cognate with Dutch raak, German Rechen, from a root meaning "to scrape together," "heap up")'. Using the data I make available at Eavesdroppings, I'll analyze the market & create piles of interesting stocks. Some heaps may be fun/quirky (.ie stocks with prime number of followers over 100?), some could be aggregated trends (ie. top 20 most stable stocks for past month), and some could be straight-up, first-come, first-served, feeding frenzies (ie. 5 random stocks with 0 shareholders). Am I really stretching the rake metaphor for the sake of a lazy play on "market maker"? Yep. Does anyone care? Doubtful. In fact, I bet you've already opened the blog in another browser tab/window just to see if there are investor-less stocks listed.

If you've got your own analysis you'd like done on the data, let me know what you want in a comment, the game, or however (I'll look into what other options I could add to the blog to allow for it). Ideally, all of the content generated (aside from my commentary on it) for this blog will be automated. And if you can describe it, I'm confident I can code it. So speak up!

3 comments:

  1. Is there some way you could analyze the relationship between heavyweight stockholders and stock price? One would expect a correlation - a good stock price might be partially the outcome of attracting heavyweights and vice versa...but how strong is the correlation? Do you see high stock prices for stocks that have no heavyweight investors? Am I making sense here? - Joanne aka Polly, (e)COSTE

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is DEFINITELY something I can analyze! I need to grab everyone's portfolio data, though, so I'm initiating a crawl for that right now.

    And just to be clear, you're asking what percentage of high-priced stocks are invested in by other high-priced stocks, correct? I'll analyze based on share price, portfolio value, and wealth of investors. Work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly. Sounds great. -(e)COSTE

    ReplyDelete